Thursday, April 23, 2015

Week 12: intellectual property #1

In this week's blogposts, I will be talking about our guest speaker's topic: The role of intellectual property as a strategic business asset.

Just to start off, it is interesting to see that 80% of S&P 500 Market value is consisted of intangible assets. These can be patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, etc.

I actually learned how to differentiate the terms I just listed above. In the presentation, she says that copyrights are original works of authorship (and this can take any form of work) and it lasts author's life and 70 years. Trademarks is a word, name, symbol, or device used in trade to distinguish goods. Trade secrets are business items/information that are of economic value and are kept confidential. Patents are right to exclude others from making, using, or selling products covered by invention in a defined territory. Patent's life is 20 years from filing.

I thought the distinguishing definitions of each of these intangible assets really clarified my doubts and made the entire material more clear. It is definitely surprising that over 80% of the market value are laid in these secrets / patents. It makes sense when you think about it, especially in a largely growing tech industry.


4 comments:

  1. I thought her talk about the distinctions between different types of intellectual property really helped me understand the difference too. Before I was a bit unclear on the multiple types of IP, but now I have a much better grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought her talk about the distinctions between different types of intellectual property really helped me understand the difference too. Before I was a bit unclear on the multiple types of IP, but now I have a much better grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really learned a lot from your summarization of her talk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for elaborating on what elements of her presentation you felt were most important. It really helps to see what other people take away and why they feel what they highlight is important. I'm curious though, how might this apply for small start ups?

    ReplyDelete