Saturday, April 4, 2015

Week 10 #1: silly patents #1

In this blogpost I will be talking about the Quick Draw Call patent.

As you can see from the picture, this patent that was awarded in 2004 is a strap that holds your phone on your wrist. When you want to "store" your phone, it rests on your wrist. However, when you want to use it, you can push it out to your palm and use the phone. 

The actual patent says: "no one of the devices actually known allows the possibility of quickly and easily setting the cellular telephone to its use condition and then as well quickly and easily setting it back to rest". 

My personal thoughts on this patent is that I guess at first, this does look kind of cool. Its like how magicians hide cards in their sleeves. However, the more I look at it, the more I would not appreciate it and found flaws. 

I do admit that it would be a very easy and quick way of accessing and "storing" your phone. But I do put quotes around "store" because the way it is stored in the picture would be terrible for me. It would be way too inconvenient to have a phone hanging around my wrist all the time, especially with the huge phone screen size trends lately. 

In addition, I also do not see a need for pulling and storing your phone in such quick speeds. I do not need to constantly check my phone back and forth. And even if it was to shorten the amount of time needed when I get a call, I have a good 15 seconds to reach my phone before the call drops. 

Overall I think this patent was very unnecessary and quite obvious. It is simply a strap on your wrist that can hold a phone. People are already reluctant to have smart watches and bulky wrist watches, so I couldn't imagine what would make them want to wear this.



3 comments:

  1. This one is silly but I could totally see why this was made in the early days of the cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that at first it looks kind of cool but I'm not sure about the practicality. It reminded me of the hidden blade in Assassin's creed and Peter Parker's web shooters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that the construction and placement of the phone does seem a little inconvenient to carry around. I'm not sure how if I would use a product like this, however it the patent was still approved. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete