Saturday, April 4, 2015

Week 10 #4: silly patents 4

In this blog post I will be talking about the newborn infant art patent.

At first I was very confused about what this patent actually is. It seems like it is just a patent on a drawing board that allows the infant to paint. Turns out, the patent is exactly that! The patent says "the addition of a newborn infant to a family inspires feelings of nostalgia and the related desire to create a lasting remembrance of the child's infancy".

Essentially, this is a paint kit for kids and parents who miss the idea of painting. The patent was awarded in 2000, and I was very confused as to why it would be patented. This is simply a drawing board and it is essentially patenting the idea of people wanting to paint after having a baby?

I thought the patent was also very obvious because it provides nothing new. Both the paint and the drawing board were already prior arts and so I can't imagine how this could possibly be an innovative, yet needed invention.

This is my last blogpost on the idea of silly patents, and sure enough, it made me realize how many ridiculous patents there are out there. This assignment definitely opened my eyes.


3 comments:

  1. This post definitely opened my eyes. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric,

    I also came across this patent in my research and thought it was hilarious!

    Good job looking into the patent in terms of obviousness and innovation. It is true that there are way too many silly patents out there! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eric,

    I agree with your analysis in terms of obviousness and why this patent should be considered invalid. I just don't see how this patent demonstrates any qualities of uniqueness and like you stated, this is simply patenting the prior arts already in place. This is absolutely ridiculous and should not be a patent whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete