Sunday, February 15, 2015

Top 25 Predictions - My Top 5 and Thoughts

Below are the top 5 predictions from the list of 25 we went over in class. Although all of the predictions were somewhat comical to read because we are reading them 100-200 years after they were written, I chose these because they particularly stuck out to me. I will explain my logic and reasoning for each. 

23.) "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." – Western Union internal memo, 1876
I chose this one because it demonstrates how far technology and humans have come. In 1876, telephones were definitely not as nearly as advanced as they are today, but its incredible to think that telephones have become such a staple item in our lives. 

21.) "Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia." – Dr. Dionysius Lardner, 1830
This one specifically targets at how science has developed over the years. This quote reminds me of how humans today are doubtful about reaching Mars. Technology can go great lengths.

20.) "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." – Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
This quote was very ironic to me so I had to choose it. You would think that the chairman of if not the biggest computer company during that time would have more faith in his product. Maybe there was a market of 5 for the computers they were building at the time, but he has to think ahead and imagine improved models.

13.) "If excessive smoking actually plays a role in the production of lung cancer, it seems to be a minor one." – -W.C. Heuper, National Cancer Institute, 1954
Similar to the previous quote, I chose this one because it came from a representative at the National Cancer Institute. Fast forward to today, it is common knowledge that smoking directly correlates to lung cancer.

10.) “ There will never be a bigger plane built." – - A Boeing engineer, after the first flight of the 247, a twin engine plane that holds ten people
This quote reflects how humans should not be narrow-minded and feel easily pleased. This Boeing engineer definitely achieved a huge feat, but we should all know that this is just a new beginning. This first plane just opened a whole new field for humans and it is wrong for him to simply state an end to it. 




4 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,

    I like how you relate these to situations today. I really like #21 in particular, where you mentioned that it reminds you of how humans feel about reaching Mars. I think it's a bold prediction to apply that to Mars, but nonetheless incredibly relevant as various companies such as SpaceX and Mars-One are trying to do just that. If I had one suggestion, maybe it would be to take into account and explain why the people may have predicted what they did, similar to what you did for #20.

    Other that that, looks good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choices Michael. I chose many of them for my top 5 as well. Interesting how you linked rail travel to exploring Mars, when Mars colonization is already very plausible. I would have enjoyed it if your reasons explained why your quotes fell in this specific order, as opposed to saying they showed how far humanity and technology has come, which I find to be rather obvious already in hindsight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael, I absolutely loved the fact that you put quotes into your blog post for the top ten inventions. That was a great way as to really depict the mentality people had for inventions of the past. And better, it gives me some perspective as to how people today might say, "It's not possible to ____, there's no market for _____." I loved the post. Keep it up!

    Masaki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, This was a great list. I had a similar reaction to these prediction in lecture. The one about high speed rail travel is on point, and it seems silly to think of it now. I loved the post. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete