Sunday, February 15, 2015

Researched Top 5 Predictions

Below are some predictions that I found very interesting and could relate to. Like I mentioned in the previous post, these predictions can teach us that we are living in an ever-changing world. What seems like the norm or a known fact today, could be thrown out and disproved tomorrow. I have included my reasoning for each of the predictions below.


Grandchildren of the television age won’t be able to read. TIME
Drill for Oil? You mean drill into ground to try and find oil? You're crazy. 
No surgeon will ever operate on the heart or brain.

This was posted when the television first became popular. It is a great example of the media overreacting to a piece of technology that will change the world forever. As more households could afford a TV, critics were skeptical of its success and uses.

A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth's atmosphere. New York Times
I am firm believer in humans being able to reach Mars within my lifetime. As a result, I found this prediction very relatable. I am glad that humans have already reached the moon and made huge advancements for our way to Mars. 

I think this was a very interesting prediction because the world we live in right now is very revolved around oil. World politics are greatly influenced by the possession of oil, and the top companies in the world today are oil companies. Oil has become a resource that we kind of overlook to becoming extremely valuable.


You better get secretarial work or get married.
This was a quote said to Marilyn Monroe. It is not really a prediction, but it does demonstrate the view of women people had back in the day. To them, women could not do the same work as men did. However today, women have become presidents and achieved great lengths.

I found this interesting because there is a whole field in medicine that deals with heart and brain surgery. And this field has saved so many lives that I can't imagine how it would be without it. 





7 comments:

  1. Hey Michael, great job on the post! I really enjoyed reading the predictions that you found on the internet. Two of my favorites were the television prediction and the statement said to Marilyn Monroe. At the time, it is certainly easy to see why some might have been vary of the television as it involves staring at moving images and nothing else. However, as you pointed out, that prediction was simply an overreaction about a new piece of technology. The same happens today when people predict robots and artificial intelligence will take over the world. I also liked the point you made about how that statement said to Marilyn Monroe highlights the views many people had about women only a few decades ago. One piece of advice I would give to you is to perhaps better format your post so it is easy to see your quotes and your analysis on those quotes. It took me a while to figure out where everything was in the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pranay,

      Great job! One of the best comments I've seen. I liked how you reflected upon your reaction of what he wrote in the post and also gave feedback on how to improve the post!

      Delete
  2. Oil is an interesting idea since we would have never been able to predict the items it could power.

    Also, please structure your posts in a little more readable format.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michael! Great read. I don't agree with Matthew though. I like your format of writing. It is much more personal and fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael, I liked your post! In particular, I agree with your thoughts about the television prediction because the news media outlets and people in general seem to tend to over-exaggerate the consequences of new innovations. For your next post, a suggestion might be to work on the formatting a little and use underline/bold styles to stress certain parts of the post. However, overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael,

    Great post! I really liked the focus on media predictions and how they warped popular thinking of their time. It shows us the folly in relying on such a source for important opinions when we do not try to explore how ungrounded the statements could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris,

      Great comment! I like how you mentioned which specific part of the blog post that you liked, and in particular, your insight on the post.

      Delete